2020 has been a freak year. The pandemic has created a ‘new normal.’ It has changed the way we work.
COVID elevated the practice of working from home from a good-to-have to must-have. You have to manage your team and achieve business targets using phone, email, Whatsapp and, Zoom. In- person interaction is hardly possible.
These abrupt changes can be challenging in several ways.
1. How to manage the performance of employees working remotely? If your team is working remotely, you cannot ‘see’ how well the employees are working. You are more interested in the results now. You want to assign specific tasks and set targets on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and see whether each employee can complete the tasks and achieve the targets. But you cannot do that efficiently without a simple, practical system.
2. How to keep the employee motivated?: With minimal in-person interactions, you cannot know if an employee is happy, unhappy, bored, lonely, frustrated or highly motivated. In such circumstances, how do you ensure employee commitment?
3. How are team members relating to each other? In remote work system, interpersonal skills get-tested. The team members may or may not be happy with the workstyles of each other. How do you keep the team united and effective?
Tips to Improve Team Performance
With so much digitalization, the good news is that you can get digital tools to address these challenges.
1. Online Performance Management
Use an online performance management system to set goals and monitor progress. Appraise staff by measuring the results and comparing them with the targets. Your team will be super excited to receive the recognition and rewards for their excellent work.
Remember a few key points here.
- It is essential to set goals at the beginning of the year. So, even if you had not done it in 2020, now is the right time for setting the employee goals for 2021.
- As you expect good performance from the employees, they expect to get paid for their performance. It is not equitable if you pay the same salary to those who perform and those who do not.
2. Employee Engagement Surveys
You can do an online Employee Engagement Survey to determine if employees are motivated.
You can check out several elements: motivation level, work environment, employee value proposition, and what the employees feel about their pay and benefits. The survey results will show you where the company is doing well and what needs to change.
3. 360 Degree Feedback Surveys
A 360 Degree Feedback Survey is an excellent tool for getting feedback on interpersonal skills, communication, collaboration, leadership, teamwork, planning etc. Through the survey, each employee receives feedback from the supervisor, peers and subordinates.
The beauty of the system is that you get valuable feedback. Yet, the persons giving the input need not fear because their names are kept confidential. The survey will reveal the strengths, weaknesses and blind spots of each employee. You can create a personal development plan for each employee based on the findings.
In case you need further information, please get in touch with us at email@example.com